Monday, July 04, 2005

Songs

We went to a 4th of July parade today and on the way we heard a song on the radio that I used to sing to Cassie while trying to get her to go to sleep. It was "Malcom McGillikitty" by Ralph's World and it has this great line in it which always felt comforting to me:
"But when I get scared in the middle of the night, he sneaks through the house and he lies by my side."
It made me cry, thinking of holding Cassie and singing it softly to her as she fell asleep, and of course I just bawl like a baby whenever I hear it or any other song I used to sing to Cassie. It sucks too, because those are the songs that I can actually sing well - I know all the words, I can sing it in tune, etc.
These are some of the other sings that I sang to Cassie - and Lesley - when I was trying to get them to sleep:

  • Yellow Submarie, The Beatles
  • Till There Was You, The Beatles
  • Fly Me To The Moon, Frank Sinatra
  • At the Bottom of the Sea, Ralph's World
  • Malcom McGillikitty, Ralph's World
  • Little Raindrop, Justion Roberts
  • Take Me Out to the Ballgame, Harry Caray :)

1 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd is an amazing singer. He would work wonders with Cassie. I know that for a time Cassie wouldn't settle down and sleep unless she heard Yellow Submarine. I must have sung it to her about 1000 times after her spinal surgery. The problem is unlike Todd I neither know the words or sing it well. I would be singing it to Cassie and look over at him rolling his eyes as I totally made up verses because I didn't know the words.

When I think of Cassie's songs I think of Neesa by Libana. I would sing that to her while rocking her and think of all the love and good thoughts coming down through the ages to help settle my little Goddess Girl. This was the last song I sang to her before she passed away. It will always be Cassie's Song.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home