Thursday, August 04, 2005

It's Coming


It's looming out there like a giant. Cassandra's 2nd birthday is on the 17th, less than 2 weeks away and we're all scared witless. I have no idea how it's going to hit me, how I'm going to react, or how I'll get through the day. I just know it ain't gonna be easy on any of us. And, of course, there is no manual to tell you what you should do on your child's birthday after they're dead. We're fortunate to have a very strong community of friends that have been through similar situations in The Compassionate Friends and we've gotten some very very good advice. I'll talk about our specific plans later, but suffice it to say - and I should probably rename my blog this - nothing will be as good without Cassandra. I'm kind of afraid that it's going to be anti-climactic, because I really can't miss her any more or want her back any more than I do right now or I have everyday. I think the best we can do is celebrate the day, have some fun, and remember what a super little kid she was. Cassie certainly deserves a fun day. Cassie deserves a lot of fun days.

2 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been dreading Cassie's birthday for about 2 months now. It looms ahead like a steam train. I can't stop it but I hope to survive the ordeal. This will be the first of many many birthdays that Cassie will not get to celebrate but like the rest of our lives she is still here in spirit. And so we will celebrate the 17th with the funnest most family-centered thing we can think of and hope that the emptiness we will feel will not overwhelm the day.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Todd, all of us Sparacinos are sad, and will always be sad, for you adn your family. I have a 2 year old now, Ella Kathryn, and hold her a little closer after hearing about Cassie's death. I know nothing we say can help you in any way, but now that she'll never be forgotten,a dnyou souand like the greatest father. SHe was and still is-lucky to have such adoring parents, and adoring big sister. I think of our childhood, sharing at the beach, on the lake while our father's sailed those Hobie Cats. Pieces of Kathryna dn I will always be close to you and Meredith. Cassie died on my birthday, April 6. I will always think of her that day, an dif I can be remotely organized, will try to send alittle book to your favorite library in her memory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home